Monday, January 16, 2006

New Year, New Job

I'm leaving my job finally!

As you know I decided to be a photographer last year (see birthday entry).
But this is going to take some time. Since I have no money, no recent professional experience and no contacts, I couldn't quit my current job, print business cards and open a studio. Tempting but there was no way. But having made the decision was a huge step for me. Oh I still keep changing my mind every day but I'm trying not to listen to those voices in my head. I keep reminding myself that being scared is a good sign. Isn't?

Ok so now I'm a photographer in training. I'm planning to use 2006 as a year to learn, grow and do. I'm going to take classes, do those photo projects I've talked about, and finally talk to as many photographers as I can. Good plan, right? Yes, I was going to take it slow AND be smart about it.

Part of being smart is not quitting my day job. Although the job has been a nightmare in recent years, I need an income for all the lovely classes and equipment. This time my "job" will be about making money. If my company was going to hire me back full-time and give me a considerable raise, I would stay. (Though deep inside I prayed they wouldn't.)

Well God heard my prayers and delivered me from evil. Yes, they couldn't afford to hire me back full-time. I was off the hook cause it would be stupid and suicidal to stay part-time. So I would leave at the end of the month. Bonus: my boss offered to help me by being a reference AND passing my resume to her contacts. Nice.

Hopefully I'll have some good news to report in a couple of weeks.
Wish me luck and let me know of any job openings.

1 Comments:

Blogger hshere said...

Congratulations Cindy! Keep looking forward and don't give up. I think you're right, being scared is a good thing as long as you don't back down from it. Good luck with the job search! I'll keep my eyes open online, too.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home