Wednesday, May 23, 2007

From Knitting to Sewing

Summer is hard to do knitting so I've decided to take up sewing.
I started my 4-session Sewing: Skirt course at Make Workshop (www.makeworkshop.com).
Basic class with a goal.

As some of you know I live in skirts and dresses year round. But paying a lot of money for one that's simple and plain makes me mad. I just bought a jersey dress from Old Navy for $25 that I could have made in the color and fit I want.

I've been wanting to learn and do it for a very long time. I even took an old, old sewing machine from my last job believing I would get it fixed and teach myself to sew! Sadly the machine would have cost more to repair than purchasing a new one (which I did at Target for less than $100). Also I have to admit that when visiting my amazingly talented friend Nam at her apartment surrounded by fabrics and beautiful bags that she creates, I was a little envious. I've sewed before but very basic like hemming jeans. Jeans are forgiving.

Now I'm not naive. I know making your own clothes like knitting your own sweater isn't cheap. Heck it's probably gonna cost same if not more. But I don't think I would mind if it's what I want in color/pattern, style and fit. Wouldn't you agree?

Of course there is a good possibility that like my knitting this hobby would lose momentum. That's okay. I will be just as happy using my new sewing machine and skills I've learned in class to hem pants. That would be worth all the cost.

More to come...

1 Comments:

Blogger hshere said...

cool! i was actually looking at their website the other day. i had never heard of it before. can't wait to see your pieces.

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home