Saturday, March 25, 2006

No Wonder...

No wonder I don't have the mind-set to date. I've been on one for the last two months but didn't know it.
After exchanging some emails with friends, I realized this job search was actually like dating.
Think about it. The parallel is remarkable.

No one wants to be in the search mode. I think that's why many are in their jobs for years.
I had finally left a long, unhealthy relationship and found myself unemployed (single) again.
Although I've been unemployed before, I found that this time that I was very anxious . I'm sure it's the age factor. I worried that I could end up permanent unemployed (single) or settle for a job that's just decent. I also found myself irrationally questioning my qualifications (attractiveness). Yet despite all this, I knew I would not settle just for any job. I'm very much an idealist (romantic).

I knew what I wanted in a job this time which made the search a little easier but more difficult at the same time. Sure I knew what I wanted but is there a company/job out there that meets my expectations? I had to look. I had to try. I hesitated going through headhunters (eharmony.com). I looked through the want ads (match.com). I was very discouraged by what I saw. Nothing among the available positions looked even remotely enticing. The best way I knew was through referrals so I asked my friends who were working in companies that had the qualities I was looking for -- supportive, encouraging and appreciative of their employees -- that lacked in my previous employments.

Luckily I had three friends who did worked in companies that fit the profile.
Linda has been with Lehman's for 12 years in a mutually benefiting and respectful relationship.
Hyun has been with PNYC for a few years. It's not her ideal but she's content for now.
Dennis has been with Capital for a short time. But in that time he has expressed how wonderful Capital has been for him. He painted a lovely picture and that drew my interest.
So among the three I was really attracted to Capital, then Lehman's and finally PNYC. PNYC was actually more like "I'll give it a chance cause maybe my first impression is wrong."

So they all put in a good word and arrange introductions.
The first interviews (date) were pretty much the same for all three. I wore my best outfit. I even bought a new outfit for the occasion. Each interview we exchanged information. We spoke of what we were like and what we were seeking in the other. We asked questions. In the end we left on a hand shake and I was promised a call.

Lehman called and told me that I wasn't right. Lehman was like the older man, established and very set in his way. Although those qualities were attractive I wanted a little bit of a creative or adventurous side.
PNYC didn't even call but we both knew we were not right for each other. No chemistry at all.
Capital was promising. It was solid company but wasn't so typical. I knew that after my first interview. I went in for a position I was overqualified. Instead of just simply rejecting me, amazingly Capital recognized my diverse and advanced talents and skills and encouraged me to apply for a position better suited for me. Wow. That doesn't happen too often.

I liked Capital and could see myself liking it even more. I went on several additional interviews where we got to know each other better. It was very promising. I had a good feeling about Capital and was getting very positive feedback. I had every indication that I was going to get an offer (be exclusive and be in a relationship) so I didn't even bother looking at other jobs. Sure I probably was limiting my options by going with the first promising company that came my way but I had to go with my gut. That's how I work. Capital offered me the job. Yeah.

Hopefully my gut didn't steer me the wrong. I'll see how this goes and hopefully it will be a happy, loving, lasting relationship. Now that that's done I guess I can now focus my attention and energy on finding my guy. This may take longer. I'll keep you posted. =)

2 Comments:

Blogger hshere said...

Very entertaining analogy. It sounds like you were thinking a lot about it. We probably do approach various situations in a very similar way. ...and, that, my friend is a scary thought for me.

7:54 PM  
Blogger jennyinla said...

Cool! Yes, you can now start accepting applications for potential boyfriends. :)

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home